Friday, March 6, 2015

Time to Talkback: Review on Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

The Authors had their time to talk now it's Time to Talkback. This gives me the chance to review the book or books I have been reading. Now I'm all for a honest review and at times I can be a bit harsh with some of the judgements I voice, as far as book go. But it has nothing to do with the author(s) for without them what would my imagination be (goodness help us all). It is just my own opinion, constructive criticism (I say) and I just want to state it as so many of us sometimes do. Good or Bad, I am always thankful for the books I read and the author(s) who wrote them. So, welcome to Talkback and here to a honest review.



Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen #1
Author Info: Website | Twitter| Goodreads
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre Type: Fantasy, Dystopia
Publication Date: February10th 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen     
Format: Hardcover
Pages:  383 pages
Source: Barnes and Noble, Bought  
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


“In school, we learned about the world before ours, about the angels and gods that lived in the sky, ruling the earth with kind and loving hands. Some say those are just stories, but I don’t believe that. The gods rule us still. They have come down from the stars. And they are no longer kind.”

Victoria Aveyard creates a lush, terrifying and somehow beautiful world, permeated with tones of fantasy and dystopia altogether, with well-defined and descriptive writing. Aveyard, illuminates our minds and imagination with tales of royalty and war.

There are the normal, commoners, “reds” with red blood and then there are the god like people with special gifts, abilities called “silvers” with silver blood. Mare Barrow is a 17-year old pickpocketing thief, and a “red”. But Mare is special, and unlike most reds she has abilities, ones that make her more like a silver then most would think. After finding out about her powers Mare is forced by the silver King into an engagement with his youngest son and tells the world that she’s a long lost child of a long dead silver family, hiding her red blood and the implications of it. Now Mare is forced with a choice to live in secret or do what she must for her freedom and her red brethren, even if it would be a rebellion.

This book was very politically focused and it showed some awful truths about how people use others to their advantage It explore the depths of political corruption, strategy, advantages and inequality, while also exploring the same area of social status and disparity. Aveyard brings a veracity to the social and ethical levels of this world in clear and precise views through both the silver and red characters, showing what each side gains and loses throughout the changing of each decision.

Aveyard painted a wonder story based through the telling of the main character, Mare Barrow, witty, quick-thinking, intelligent, and charming girl. She was quite easy to read as the narrator and I enjoyed how she thought and acted. Cal, the older prince and a silver was kind of mysterious and you don't get to see the soft side of him often, but when you do it is lovely. Maven, the younger prince, engaged to Mare, and silver, was quite charming with an unexpected twist. I love that fact that Mare and him connect so well for it made every lie and betrayals of all the characters so realistic. Even the side characters had a lot of personality. I think Victoria Aveyard did a great job with character development and I was never bored while reading her book.

However, there wasn’t much going on plot-wise in the first third of the book, but the story progresses nicely as it goes on. Aveyard keeps you in the dark most of the time and surprises you with discoveries and twists that are well-crafted and makes sense throughout the book.
I would have to recommend this story for once you get past the begging, this book wraps you in a world of secrecy and sheer nail-biting action that will not let you put it down. Aveyard’s writing is well-planned, entertaining and beautiful. She has created a set of wonderfully complex and deep characters that are not your first impression of them and that will surprise you with every turn of the pages.

My rating might be a bit misleading, but there were some definitive factors that made me give it 4 stars instead of more, but I truly liked it and I was deeply invested in the story and the lives of the characters, especially since I think some situations are reminiscent of reality and that made me shiver. This is a story of death and loss and betrayal, but most of all of hope. Lushly written, fast paced where it needed to be, with complex characters, intricate world building and interesting, enthralling plot, this book captivated me and I am in desperate need of book two because the ending was unbelievable. But until then… “Rise, red as the dawn”.


View all my reviews

No comments: